CIVIL WAR MASCOT
10 1/2 foot eagle was erected in remembrance of "OLD ABE". It is
located near the NSP Power Station on the banks of the Chippewa River in
Jim Falls, Wisconsin. The story of Old Abe began in 1861 when the
Chippewa Indians traded and eaglet to Dan McCann of Jim Falls. Mr
McCann raised the eagle as a pet and then provided the young eagle to the
Eau Claire Company C of the 8th Wisconsin Infantry, being formed for duty
in the Civil War. The regiment changed its name from Badger to Eagle and
the bird was named in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. Old Abe
accompanined the 8th Infantry in 37 battles and engagements and then was
returned to madison, Wisconsin where he died during an 1881 fire.
His likeness is still displayed in the Wisconsin State Capitol building.
Back to dedication section
Back to Tourism